Hello perfect Sunday breakfast!
These waffles are best consumed in bed on a lazy Sunday morning.
Coated in cinnamon sugar, the waffles have a crispy sugary golden edge. They’ve got a light soft centre and the brown butter and brown sugar gives them a subtle caramely flavour.
You can top them with whatever you fancy, but they are perfectly complemented by fresh juicy strawberries, creamy mascarpone and sweet maple syrup.
Makes approx 8 waffles (can easily be doubled or tripled to make a larger quantity)
- 1/3 cup demerara sugar (or other large grained unrefined sugar)
- 1 tbsp cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1 cup flour
- generous pinch salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 50g (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 cup milk
- Berries, mascarpone and maple syrup to serve
- Icing/ powdered sugar to dust
To make –
- Mix together the sugar and cinnamon and set aside
- Brown the butter by melting in a heavy based saucepan on a medium heat until the butter turns a nutty brown colour and starts to smell like caramel. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together 2 tablespoons of the sugar mixture with the flour, salt and baking powder
- Stir together the beaten egg, milk and browned butter, then mix into the flour mixture
- Brush your waffle maker with a little melted butter or oil then sprinkle the bottom with cinnamon sugar (about a teaspoon per waffle)
- Add the waffle mixture and dust each waffle with another teaspoon of cinnamon sugar
- Cook the waffles according to your waffle iron instructions, top with your delicious topping and enjoy.
Adapted from Bestest Belgian Waffles